Strokestown Park House & Famine Museum, Roscommon, Ireland

t : 00 353 71 9633013

e :

Your cart is empty | Cookie Policy

Strokestown Park Blog


You are here: Home / News / Strokestown Park Blog
Strokestown Park Blog


The 1930s HMV Gramophone at Strokestown Park


During the early evening’s monthly get-together for staff and volunteers at Strokestown Park on Tuesday the 24th of January 2017, the 1930s family gramophone was wound up and records from the 1920s, ‘30s, ‘40s and ‘50s were played as tea and cake were consumed.


The wind-up gramophone, blue in colour (a more expensive model than the standard black), had not played a record for some time, but thanks to the care and kindness of Renaissance man Andrew Clancy, it was put to working order again without any intervention and advice for a gentle wind-up touch.


We were given a brief history of the invention as it was put into context with earlier recording machines, the logo HMV (His Master’s Voice) explained, and a quick journey through time as records from several decades were played – some very much recognisable, others quite unknown.


The Gramophone Company Ltd. (later HMV) with a massive factory in Middlesex England, sold this Model 102, c.1934, as The World’s Finest Portable. Portables only came into existence in the early 1930s, before then records were played at home on large, stationary, cabinet-style gramophones. Indeed the 102 is still a very fine piece of musical kit, as was demonstrated on Tuesday evening as it produced a wonderful sound. It was purchased as part of the contents of the house by Jim Callery and Westward in 1981 from Olive and her son Major Nicholas Hales Pakenham Mahon. We cannot be sure, but could assume that it may have been in the house since the mid-1930s. Playing records such as the foxtrot No Place But Home from the British musical Ever-Green, one could picture Olive and her husband Wilfrid dancing in the Library, perhaps with friends, and children Lettice, Elizabeth, Denys and Nicholas looking on with delight and even joining in.


Along with the gramophone is thankfully a marvellous collection of musical records – 7” and 10” – which give us such a real connection to the family tastes as we can play the music now, the particular sounds from the speaker being so evocative. With many records being nearly 100 years old however, it is a rare and very special thing to play them. 

Come to our next CPD on Febuary 20th for more talks on historical finds in the house!

Friday, 27 January 2017 16:34

The walk, never to return..

Published in Strokestown Park Blog Written by Strokestown Park


One of the bleakest events in Strokestown’s long history is the journey of 1490 tenants from the Mahon estate at Strokestown Park who took part in an assisted emigration scheme to Canada, funded by the Landlord Denis Mahon. The tenants walked to Dublin, accompanied by the Bailiff of the Strokestown estate who was there to ensure they boarded the ship in Dublin and did not return home. This journey took place in 1847 or ‘Black 47’, one of the worst years of suffering of the Great Irish Famine.

The story of the tenants’ fate after they left Dublin is a harrowing one. They travelled on open deck packet steamers to Liverpool where they waited in the cellars of quayside buildings at Liverpool docks to board their ships to Canada. The four ships they boarded - Erin’s Queen, Naomi, The Virginius and The John Munn were badly fitted out and badly provisioned. Almost half of those who embarked died aboard ship or in the ‘fever sheds’ at Grose Isle when they arrived in Quebec. Of course, this was not known to them as they walked along the Royal Canal to Dublin, they believed that they were walking away from hunger and towards a better life.



Monday, 19 December 2016 16:22

Mrs Rundell’s Really Rich Custard

Published in Strokestown Park Blog Written by Strokestown Park

Mrs Rundell’s Really Rich Custard  

This time of year as millions of people order things for Christmas dinners with a click and a credit card my mind wanders to the kitchens in the Trust properties of Fota House, Johnstown Castle and Strokestown Park and I think of how foods were sourced and prepared in the past. When everything was prepared from scratch and it took time and hard work. Not an issue in big houses with a dedicated team of servants to pluck, draw, skin, peel, scrape, grate, pound, grind, sieve and wash raw materials that entered by the scullery door – and of course to clean up afterwards.

Food miles were not huge issue for the big house cooks either: a large portion of their ingredients were obtained from the estate.  The range of food consumed by the upper classes was great. Potatoes, grains and eggs were in plentiful supply and most of the meat consumed was sourced from the estate including venison from the deer park, game, beef, poultry, rabbit and mutton and a variety of fish if there was river or a lake such as at Johnstown Castle.  

The kitchen garden supplied numerous varieties of vegetables and fruit and for table decorations a selection of flowers was essential – it was the head gardener’s task to ensure that there was a plentiful and impressive supply throughout the year. It was deemed so important to have floral decorations gracing one’s table that Victorian advice manuals suggested that hiring flowers was a solution for town dwelling middling sorts who didn’t have gardens of their own.  Fota’s kitchen garden with its heated glasshouses shows how generations of gardeners used ingenious means to force (or delay) growth in order to supply the house with out of season delights such as roses or strawberries for Christmas!

The demands placed on the gardener often came through the cook from the mistress of the house. Each day the cook would settle the menus with her mistress.  In Fota the ever practical Lady Dorothy made her way to the kitchen for this discussion.  This was not the ‘done’ thing and was considered an invasion of the cook’s territory and one which produced much grumbling!  In Strokestown the gallery above the kitchen allowed the mistress to stay aloof and drop her handwritten menu down to the cook waiting respectfully below: an action that plainly signified which woman was of the higher social rank. 

Monday, 19 December 2016 16:18

Olive & Edward

Published in Strokestown Park Blog Written by Strokestown Park

A fragile piece of cloth has been framed as a precious memento of a happy event. It is a table napkin and a typical souvenir given to wedding guests in the past.  The occasion marked on this napkin was the marriage of Olive Packenham Mahon to Edward Stafford King Harmon in 1914.  This was a great alliance of two of Roscommon’s most prestigious families, uniting the estates of Strokestown Park and Rockingham. The marriage was short-lived however as four months later Edward was killed in action in Ypres.

From London Edward left by train for Flanders with his regiment the Irish Guards and Olive was on the platform to wave him off. She was later to remark that as he looked back from the carriage window she felt it was as if he had wanted to return to her. But Olive was never to see him again. Shortly after arriving in Flanders, Edward was missing in action. It is not hard to imagine that having no definite proof that he was dead, Olive might have hoped that by some miracle he would return.   She remained at Rockingham for a number of months afterwards – but finally, with no news of her husband, she accepted that he would never come back and returned to Strokestown and her former life. Edward’s remains were never recovered.

You can still see the napkin today if you take a tour of Strokestown Park House. It hangs in the hallway and it tells us of the marriage that took place on the 4th of July 1914 in the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks and it reads ‘…all blessings and happiness to them.’  That summer day of happiness stands in stark contrast to the events of the following months. We now know that Olive was expecting their first child when she waved Edward off to war and in the space of 12 months she had married, was widowed and became a mother. This month marks the anniversary of Edward’s death, one hundred and two years ago on the 6th of November.





How to Find Us

find_usLooking to come and visit us here at Strokestown Park House?

Use our convenient online route planner to plan your tip

Get Directions