We welcome learners of all ages to Strokestown Park where the Famine Museum, Big House, and outdoor experiences bring all kinds of topics to life!
Younger pupils will love exploring the outdoors around this Roscommon great house, while older learners – from secondary-level students and college groups to history buffs – will relish the opportunity to investigate the complex and compelling issues Strokestown Park’s stories raise.
Primary School Tours
Let us help spark children’s interest in the past.
Discover and Explore History at the National Famine Museum|Strokestown Park! Our age-appropriate school tours support the primary curriculum. Step back in time inside Strokestown Park House, marvel at the original toys, and experience life of a child in the past. Open year-round for school visits.
- Our beautifully preserved nursery and the old Strokestown Park schoolroom give a glimpse of how children used to live in times gone by.
- Younger children love exploring our woodland walk and fairy trail and testing out our outdoor xylophone!
Second-Level Tours & Activities
- Explore a defining period in Ireland’s past at Ireland’s National Famine Museum.
- Engage with documents from Strokestown Park’s fascinating archives on-site.
- Learn important lessons about biodiversity, sustainability, and conservation across our walled gardens and woodlands.
School Tours of the National Famine Museum
A study visit to Ireland’s National Famine Museum is a thought-provoking and rewarding experience for visitors of all ages.
While it invites thinking about a dark chapter in Ireland’s history, this immersive, state-of-the-art museum also encourages everyone to look to the future.
Talk to us About the Topics You’d Like to Cover
If there are specific curriculum ideas or multidisciplinary approaches you’d like to explore, just let us know. We are always delighted to design programmes and learning activities to suit groups of all ages and abilities.
Planning your School Tour
We can help plan the details of your school tour, from your timetable and activities to your catering arrangements. Pre-book a snack or lunch for your group in the Woodland Café, where there’s plenty of room for more learning activities, as well as relaxation, or ask us for advice on fun things to do near Strokestown Park.