Visit Strokestown Park’s 6-acre walled gardens and its lush mature woodlands to refresh your senses and exercise your imagination!
Wander at a relaxed pace to take in the serenity of rural Roscommon and the rich variety of outdoor spaces, from formal pleasure gardens and the fruit and vegetable gardens to Strokestown Park’s wilder woodlands. Or let children lead the way as you explore our exciting garden and woodland trails. There’s so much to discover across this impressive Estate, which is open for all to enjoy.
Stroll Through Strokestown Park’s Charming Walled Gardens
- Enjoy the colourful display in one of Ireland’s longest herbaceous borders and the beauty of Strokestown’s lush fernery, as well as its delightful Victorian rose garden, which is simply spectacular in summer.
- Step inside Ireland’s oldest restored glasshouse.
- Discover the rich and varied flora and fauna that thrive in the shelter of the walled garden and the Estate’s tranquil lily pond.
Find Beauty and Magic in our Mature Woodlands
- Find adventure on our family-friendly woodland trail, and make music on our outdoor xylophone.
- Admire impressive specimens of mature Beech and Oak, planted by Henry Pakenham-Mahon over 300 years ago.
- Roam through lush woodlands, listen to the birds sing, and reflect at our peaceful forest bathing stations set in the serene rural Roscommon landscape
Build a Picture of the Past
At every turn, you’ll find clues to the lifestyles and viewpoints of the people who created the garden, relaxed in it, and worked there too.
- Glimpse the lives of the aristocracy as you explore their summer house, the restored croquet lawn, extensive deer park, and the garden gazebo where they liked to take tea.
- Examine our fascinating collection of heritage gardening tools and equipment to connect with the people who depended on the Strokestown Park estate for their income.
Did You Know Pineapples Were Once Grown at Strokestown Park?
Visit Strokestown Park’s pineapple pit and its vinery to learn about the delicate flowers and exotic fruits from across the British Empire the gardens produced for the gentry’s table.
After you have explored Strokestown Park’s gardens and woodlands, why not recharge in the Woodland Café, where you can relax over coffee and cake or delicious lunches and snacks, prepared with excellent local ingredients?
Join our Garden Events!
Strokestown Park’s historic walled gardens and woodlands host wonderful family-friendly events throughout the year, as well as talks, tours, and art installations that explore aspects of the garden’s fascinating design and heritage.
Garden Conservation at Strokestown Park
Strokestown Park’s walled gardens and woodlands are managed and cared for by the Irish Heritage Trust. Their staff, gardening experts, and committed volunteers continue to work tirelessly and sensitively to restore the garden and foster biodiversity across the Strokestown Park Estate.
Whatever the weather, and throughout the changing seasons, you’ll find natural beauty and facts to fascinate across Strokestown Park’s historic gardens and woodlands.